Sunday, June 28, 2009

Day 6 Rome





I was really tired this morning and decided to sleep in a little bit. However, I was able to visit many sights. I made my way via taxi to Castel Sant'Angelo which is next to Vatican city. Unfortunately the Sistine Chapel was closed today and will be closed tomorrow, but I was able to visit St. Peter's Basilica. I thought of my Aunt Teresa as I arrived and how much she would have enjoyed to be there. I haven't seen so many nuns and priests in my life even when you count Douglas. It reall is an amazing sight no matter which religion you belong to or belief system you have. I then bought a ticket to an open air bus tour. The first stop I got to was Circo Massimo. I hopped off there and wandered around through ancient ruins. It was amazing to think about how many centuries of people had walked the very same ground I was walking upon. I heard someone say that if you dig at any point in the city that you will find ruins. I don't know how true this is, but what an amazing thought. As I was walking around I stumbled upon the Colosseum. To tell you the truth it looks much bigger on T.V. (Fernando, I kind of felt like you when you saw the Disneyland Castle). Despite the size, it was truly awesome. To think of how many people lost their lives in this one area. I hopped on the tour bus again and rode around for a while. At this point I was tired and figured I have all day tomorrow to do the same. So I headed back to the hotel. This city is truly incredible. I don't know enough about the history and as I am traveling I feel the need to take history classes or read thousands of books just to know a bit more.

5 comments:

  1. I can imagine that you were tired with going non stop for so many days. I am having Teresa read this in just a few minutes.

    Kerri left for Atlanta this morning.

    Don't forget Sonya's birthday today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patrick, I think you are having a great time, I wish I was with you. Take care enjoy yourself, I'll keep reading your blog. God bless you. Love Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. love i miss you and i love the pics

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patrick, I am sorry I missed your call today. I was on campus in an area I could not use the phone. Thank you so much for the birthday wishes! It was wonderful to hear your voice. Your trip is amazing and I am glad that you had a chance to upload more pictures!!! I can't wait to read your next post!!!
    Love you,
    Betty Boop

    ReplyDelete