Saturday, June 27, 2009

Day 5 The Train to Rome





Well, I was suppose to have taken me 5 hours to get to Rome. However, there were problems in Padua so all trains were delayed. The train ride took about 9 hours. I sat next to a lovely family from Australia, but originally from London. I had a good conversation with the mother. They were having their kids write daily journals about their holiday. I got to Rome around 8:00 and I was almost swindled by a non taxi driver into paying 40 Euros to get to my hotel. As I walked towards the cab I realized that it wasn't actually a taxi, so I told him I had to go to the bathroom and walked to another entrance to get a cab. I am a little far off from the city center so I will be taking the bus into the city or paying 20 Euros(the actual price) in a cab. I haven't had a chance to take pictures, but will soon. I drove passed the Vatican which was neat. Tonight was the first night I felt awkward eating by myself. I had to eat at a restaurant down the street because there was nothing else around that was opened. As I walked home I began to think about how difficult it can be when you are surrounded by people that don't speak the same language as you. I wasn't feeling sorry for myself, I just had a greater understanding of how the ELL kiddos feel. I can't imagine how scary it is for them and I am truly disappointed with they way are public school system is educating them.

3 comments:

  1. I agree about the ELL situation. If you have never experienced anything like this, I don't think you can truly understand.

    I love the pictures!!

    Teresa was thrilled when I told her you were going to the Vatican.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The night picture is beautiful.. I still can't believe that you are actually there and seeing all of these famous things in person with your own eyes!!! Kudos for you for traveling and dining alone... it sort of sounds as though you are making friends and acquaintences very easily along the way as you travel...I bet it's interesting to talk with other travelers about their trips, experiences! : ))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rome, what a green area. I guess every picture I have seen of Rome has had something to do with the Vatican. I know mom appreciates you going to the Vatican. I bet it must be overwhelming in some ways. It holds great mystery for some. I just saw "Angels and Demons" which I am sure you can now relate to all the history shared in the movie. I too feel sad for our ELL students. I often felt helpless when I did not know if I was communicating well with my Down Syndrome students. Please come share your pictures and stories with my class. They will love having you as a guest speaker! They may not understand all the details, but they will know that you and your journey are special.

    ReplyDelete