Friday, June 26, 2009

Day 4 and Paris the Train and Venice





I didn't get the chance to write yesterday because I had to check out of my room and fool around Paris before I left on an overnight train to Venice. I went to the train station around noon and checked my bag into a locker. I had a difficult time finding the locker room and the French are not very helpful. They act stupid very convincingly. After that I found my way to the open tour bus and rode around that until my train departed. I made it to the Avenue des Champs-Élysées which is one of the most expensive areas to live in Europe. Fernando would have loved it because of all the high fashion. Many historic events occurred on this main avenue involving revolutions and marches during/after wars. The Arc de Triomphe is extremely beautiful. I did several routes around the city. Another amazing sight was the Pantheon. Below was a crypt which include such people as monsieur and madame Currie and Voltaire. In the very center of the building was Foucault's Pendulum. It was finally time to leave for Venice. I had a sleeper compartment reserved and luckily I was the only one in it. Shortly after departure I had a dinner reservation. There I was sat next to a charming French couple. The man made a few comments about Bush, but I quickly defended myself and clearly stated that I had no association with him or his family. It turned out that his name was Patrick also and I enjoyed a delightful dinner with him and his wife. I went to bed and woke up the next morning to arrive in Venice. WOW again. I didn't quite know how to get to my hotel, all I knew was that I had to get to the other side of the city. I figured out the bus system and hopped on the 51 line. Well, this was not a typical bus, but a water bus which took about 30 minutes to get to my stop. It was amazing and unforgettable. I checked into my hotel which is a Best Western. This is one of the coolest rooms I have ever stayed in. After a well needed shower, I walked around the city. The most amazing part of the city is that there are no cars. You walk down these tiny paths between buildings and find yourself amongst some amazing architecture. I truly love Venice. I did not realize how rude the French were until I made it to Italy. The people are warm and beautiful. This is definitely a city I would recommend to anyone. Oh and Fernando....they have two Dolce and Gabanna boutiques within 500 feet of each other if that.

4 comments:

  1. I see that the French haven't changed in the last 30 years. I am glad the Italians are nicer. I would love to see this country as we didn't make it there when we lived in Germany. Maybe you can take me when I retire!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always heard that the French were a little ...je ne sais quoi.... rude?, perhaps? I'm glad your traveling companions were nice, though and that you had a good trip...so cool to be riding on a train!!! You're amazing me on this trip, Patrick!!! : ))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have often thought about my birthmother being from France. I hope she was not rude, but I feel blessed to have been raised by the Irish! I loved the part bout your dinner on the train with the couple who are not fond of Bush! I wish I could join you for some cheese and bread. We could just let Fernando go shopping! I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like such a glorious time! As I am reading this I realized that you are visiting a ton of the places that I have studied in my art history classes. It is really amazing at how much beautiful art is in Europe and the contrast between that and American art.

    ReplyDelete